Last Updated and Effective Date - June 23, 2023
We strive to help protect your information and privacy, but we cannot and do not guarantee the security of any information you disclose to us, and you disclose such information at your own risk. For your privacy protection, we recommend that you do not share any particularly sensitive information with anyone.
1. Information We Collect and Receive
Unless prevented otherwise by applicable law, we may collect personal information, including without limitation the following:
- Identifiers, such as name, alias, email address, mailing address, phone number or other similar contact data.
- Sensitive personal information, such as name, signature, Social Security number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, passport number, driver's license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, health insurance or medical information, education, employment, employment history, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information, account log-in, security or access code, password, or credentials allowing access to an account, mail, email, text messages, precise geolocation, genetic data, racial or ethnic origin, religious or philosophical beliefs, union membership, or personal information collected concerning a consumer's health, sex life, or sexual orientation. Some personal information included in this category may overlap with other categories.
- User credentials, such as username, password, password hints and similar security information used to create an account and authenticate users of the Services.
- Protected classifications and demographic data, such as age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, marital status, gender, country and language preference.
- Payment data, such as credit card information and billing address.
- Device data, such as type of device, operating system and other software installed on the device, device settings, Internet Protocol ("IP") address, device identifiers and error reports.
- Internet or other electronic network activity information, such as the programs and features you access, emails you open, content you engage with, and the timing, frequency and duration of your interactions through the Services.
- Location data and Geolocation data, such as IP addresses received from your device or physical location or movements.
- Commercial information, such as products or services purchased, obtained or considered or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
- Information about your interests and preferences, including inferences, such as your favorite teams and players, your home city or your communications preferences. In addition to what you provide directly, we infer your interests and preferences from other data we collect, such as the content and advertisements you interact with while using the Services.
- Third party integrations and social media, if you connect your use of the Services through a third party service (e.g., a social media platform), the third party may share certain information from your third party account with us.
- Communications, such as from the communications you send to us, customer service inquiries, product reviews and other feedback regarding the Services.
- Other third party data, consisting of the categories above, collected from third-party sources outside of the Services, such as data from our affiliates, partners or vendors, data brokers or public sources.
We collect and receive the categories of personal information listed above from the following categories of sources:
Information You Provide Directly
We receive the information you choose to provide when using our Services. For example:
- When you sign up to receive electronic or other marketing communications, enter a contest or sweepstakes, comment on an article, communicate with customer service, complete a questionnaire, or use or download the Stars mobile application, you may be asked to provide information about yourself including your first and last name, username, mailing address, phone number, date of birth, email address, mobile phone number, payment information, and/or information about your use of our Services.
- If you use a "share with a friend" or "invite a friend" feature on our Services, we may collect your name and email address, as well as the name and email address of the recipient.
Information We Collect or Receive When You Use Our Services
We may collect or receive information when you use our Services by using cookies, web beacons, and other technologies. This information may be combined with information that you provide us directly in order to personalize content and advertising based on your interests. Depending on how you access and use our Services, we may receive:
- Log Information - this is information we automatically collect and store when you use our Services. It may include, for example, information about your interactions with the Services, the amount of time spent on our Services, and information about how you access our Services, including your IP address.
- Device Information - this is information we automatically collect and store concerning the device you use when you access our Services. Device information may include, for example, the type of device you are using, certain unique device identifiers, and your internet service provider.
- Location Information - this information may include specific location information drawn from your device's GPS, Bluetooth, or Wi-Fi signals, including information about nearby Wi-Fi networks, location beacons, and cell towers. We may receive this information when you use location-enabled services.
Information From Third-Party Sources
We may receive information about you from third-party sources such as the NHL and other NHL member clubs, from business partners (such as a sponsor who collects or who you provide personal information to), from publicly or commercially available sources, and from social networking services when you connect with social networking services while using our Services. We may combine this information with information we have collected or received about you in other ways to personalize content and advertising based on your interests.
2. How We Use Information
We use the information we collect and receive for various purposes, including:
To Provide our Services
We use the information we collect and receive to provide you with the Services you use or request and respond to your requests. For example, we may use this information to create accounts, process transactions, provide technical support, respond to user inquiries, send you electronic and other marketing communications that may be tailored to your preferences and interests, administer your participation in our contests and sweepstakes, notify you about updates to our Services or send other communications that are relevant to our Services.
To Personalize and Improve our Services
We use the information we collect and receive to provide content you may find relevant and interesting and to maintain and upgrade our operations and our Services. For example, we may use this information to solicit input and feedback about our Services, identify and address technical issues on our Services, and customize your experiences based on location information or your online activities, including the content you view, and other Services of ours you use.
To Provide Effective Advertising and Marketing
We use the information we collect and receive to provide ads for our Services, certain third-party services, and to send you promotional communications. For example, we may use this information to show you ads (on and off our Services) based on location information or your online activities, including the content you view, the products you bid on or purchase, the other Services you use, and other information we collect or receive, and to send you electronic and other marketing messages about our Services, the NHL, the NHL member clubs, or third-party business partners that may be tailored to your preferences and interests.
We may use the information we collect and receive for any other purposes that may be described to you at the point of collection or for which you provide your consent.
We will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the personal information we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
3. How We Share Information
We may share information with current and future "affiliates", a term that includes our parent or subsidiary companies, joint venture partners, or other companies we control, are controlled by, or with which we are under common control, including without limitation, DSE Hockey Club, L.P., DSE Hockey Centers, L.P., Dallas Stars Foundation, Inc.
Our Service Providers
We may provide information about you to service providers that perform certain functions or services on our behalf. For example, service providers who host our Services and data, fulfill orders, provide products and services, manage databases, perform analyses or advertising services, administer our contests and sweepstakes, collect location data, provide location-based services, process credit card payments, provide customer service, or send communications for us. These companies are contractually limited in the ways in which they may use this information.
We may partner with third parties to operate some of our Services and we may provide information about you to these operational partners. For example, the Dallas Stars website resides on a platform controlled by BAMTech, LLC ("BAMTech") via an agreement with the NHL, and we therefore may share information about you with BAMTech, its successors and permitted assigns, and their affiliates in connection with the operation of our Services and where it is otherwise permitted by applicable law. Operational partners are expected to protect the confidentiality, integrity, and security of any information we share with them. However, we are not responsible for the privacy policies of our operational partners, which may use your information for their own purposes.
We may share information you provide with select business partners that are not service providers, such as our sponsors, retailers, broadcast partners, and our retail licensee, so that they can provide you with special offers, promotional materials, and other materials or information that may be of interest to you. Business partners are expected to protect the confidentiality, integrity, and security of any information we share with them. However, we are not responsible for the privacy practices of our business partners, which may use your information for their own purposes.
We may share information with third parties when you post information to a public user profile or a public area of our Services, such as a chat room, forum, or blog. If you post information to these interactive features, it will be publicly available and you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties. We cannot ensure that parties who have access to such information will respect your privacy. Please exercise caution when using these features.
We may share ticketing and other information about you with other members of the NHL family. For example, we may share ticketing and other information about you with the NHL, NHL Interactive CyberEnterprises, LLC, including so that they can conduct analysis to better understand NHL fans and fan engagement across the NHL, including its member clubs. The NHL may also use and share insights to enable the NHL, including its member clubs, to customize and improve their services, advertising and communications.
We may disclose your information, including the contents of your communications, to other parties when required or permitted by applicable law, such as when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to respond to lawful governmental requests or legal process (for example, a court order, search warrant, or subpoena), when the information is relevant to a crime that has been committed or is being committed, when an emergency exists that poses a threat to your safety or the safety of others, or when doing so is necessary to protect our rights or property or to enforce our policies. We may also share other information with any other third party in a manner that does not identify particular users, including aggregated information.
4. Third Parties That Provide Content, Advertising, or Functionality on Our Services
Some of the content, advertising, and functionality of our Services may be provided by third parties that are not affiliated with us. Such third parties include, for example:
- Content providers, which may operate contests, sweepstakes, fantasy or interactive games, or public forums on our Services.
- Retail companies, which may process transactions, provide customer service, and perform other related functions.
- Advertising providers, which help us provide ads (on our Services or elsewhere online) that are tailored to users' interests and understand users' responses to those ads.
- Audience-measurement companies, which help us measure the overall usage of our Services and compare that usage to other online services.
- Social networking services, such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+, which enable you to log in to certain of our Services, to comment on content available on our Services, and to share things you find on our Services with your social network.
- Mobile location analytics providers, which use location-specific data to facilitate the transmission of informational, marketing, and public service communications to you.
Note that some of these companies participate in industry-developed programs designed to provide consumers with choices about whether to receive targeted ads. To learn more and to opt-out of such targeted advertising, please visit the websites of the Network Advertising Initiative, the Digital Advertising Alliance, and the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada.
5. Third Party Links
6. Cookies, Web Beacons, and Other Technologies
Our Services use online technologies called "cookies" and "web beacons," as well as other local storage technologies. This section explains what these technologies are and how they may be used.
Cookies and Other Storage Technologies
Generally speaking, "cookies" are text files that are placed in your device's browser, and that can be used to help recognize your browser across different web pages, websites, and browsing sessions. Your browser or device may offer settings related to cookies. For example, you may be able to configure your browser not to accept cookies or to notify you when a cookie is being sent. For more information about whether these settings are available, what they do, and how they work, visit your browser or device's help material. If you decide not to accept cookies from us, you may not be able to take advantage of all the features of the Services.
Cookies are stored in your device or in "local storage." We also use other types of local storage technologies, such as Local Shared Objects (sometimes called "Flash cookies"), in connection with our Services. These technologies are similar to cookies in that they are stored on your device and can be used to maintain information about your activities and preferences. However, these other local storage technologies may use parts of your device other than your browser, which means you may not be able to control their use using the browser tools and settings you use to control browser cookies. Your browser's privacy controls may enable you to manage other types of local storage.
- To help authenticate you when you use our Services
- To remember your preferences and registration information
- To present and help measure and research the effectiveness of our Services, advertisements, and email communications (by determining which emails you open and act upon)
- To customize the content and advertisements provided to you through our Services and on other websites and services you visit
Web beacons are small pieces of code placed on web pages, videos, and in emails that can communicate information about your browser and device to a server. Beacons can be used, among other things, to count the users who visit a webpage or read an email, or to deliver a cookie to the browser of a user viewing a web page or email.
We have adopted physical, technical, and administrative safeguards to help protect against theft, loss, misuse, and unauthorized access to or disclosure of the information we collect and receive. However, please note that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your information and privacy, we cannot and do not guarantee or warrant the security of any information you disclose or transmit to our Services and cannot be responsible for the theft, destruction, or inadvertent disclosure of your information, or any other disclosures out of our control.
Your online access to some of your information may be protected with a password that you select. We strongly recommend that you select a unique password that is difficult to guess and that you do not disclose your password to anyone. We will never ask you for your password in any unsolicited communication (such as letters, phone calls, or email messages).
8. Your Choices.
You have a number of choices about how we handle information we collect and receive about you:
- Email. You may opt out of receiving future promotional and mass email communications from us by clicking the "Unsubscribe" link in the footer of the email communications and updating your preferences. Please note that we may continue to send you transactional or service-related emails regarding your account.
- SMS and MMS. You may opt out of receiving promotional SMS and MMS messages (i.e. text messages) from us by replying "STOP" to any message. Please note that we may respond to your opt-out request with a message confirming that you have successfully opted out.
- Disclosure of Personally Identifiable Information to Third Parties. In accordance with applicable law, you may opt out of having your personally identifiable information shared with third parties, for those third parties' direct marketing purposes by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org, calling us toll-free at (888) 901-9827 or filling out this form: https://dallasstars.formstack.com/forms/privacy_request.
- Access, Delete, or Correct Information. In accordance with applicable law, you may have the right to access, delete, or correct inaccuracies in your personal information in our custody and control, subject to certain exceptions prescribed by law. If you would like to access, review, delete, or update your information, please contact us at email@example.com, call us toll-free at (888) 901-9827 or fill out this form: https://dallasstars.formstack.com/forms/privacy_request.
- Tailored Advertising. Some of the companies that provide advertising services on our Services may participate in industry-developed programs designed to provide consumers with choices about whether to receive tailored ads that are based on your online activities. To learn more and to opt-out of such targeted advertising, please visit the websites of the Network Advertising Initiative, the Digital Advertising Alliance, and the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada.
9. Children's Privacy.
We do not knowingly collect, use, or disclose personal information from children under the age of 13 or as otherwise defined by local law without prior parental consent, except as permitted by the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act ("COPPA") or other applicable local law.
10. California Residents.
The California Civil Code permits California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. California residents may opt out of having their personally identifiable information shared with third parties for those third parties' direct marketing purposes by contacting us using the information below.
FOR MORE DETAILS REGARDING CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS, PLEASE SEE OUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY NOTICE LOCATED HERE.
To exercise your rights, please call us toll-free at (888) 901-9827, fill out this form: https://dallasstars.formstack.com/forms/privacy_request or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include "Privacy" as the subject line and include your first name, last name, and email address in the body of the email.
In addition, California residents who are registered users of our Services and are under the age of 18 are entitled, in accordance with California law, to request and obtain removal of content and information that they themselves post as user content on our Services. You may request such removal by either filling out this form (https://dallasstars.formstack.com/forms/privacy_request) or contacting us as set out in the Contact Us section below. Please include "Privacy" in the subject line and include in the body of the email: (i) a statement that you are requesting, in accordance with California law, the removal of user content, (ii) a description of the material you want removed and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material; and (iii) your first name, last name, email address, mailing address (including city, state, and zip) and year of birth so that we can process your request. Please note that your request does not ensure the complete or comprehensive removal of the material and that there may be circumstances in which the law does not require or allow removal even if requested.
11. International Transfers of Personal Information.
Please note that the Services are directed towards users who reside in the United States. The Dallas Stars headquarters are in the United States, and, regardless of where you use our Services or otherwise provide information to us, your information may be transferred to, maintained, and processed by the Dallas Stars, its affiliates, and our operational partners and service providers in the United States. Please note that U.S. privacy laws, regulations, and standards may not be equivalent to the laws in your country of residence and such information may be subject to lawful access by U.S. courts, law enforcement, and governmental authorities. By using our Services or by providing us with your information, you consent to this collection, transfer, storage, and processing of information to, in, and out of the United States.
To the extent our activities are subject to international data protection laws that specify limited legal grounds to process your information, the legal bases for our processing activities are to perform or contract(s) with you, to meet our legal obligations, and for our legitimate business purpose, including to improve our operation and Services, detect and prevent fraud, and enforce our policies.
Please see the Your Choices section for more information on how to withdraw your consent at any time. In addition, you may also have rights to access, rectification, deletion/erasure, objection, restriction of processing and/or portability.
13. Contact Us.
DSE Hockey Club, L.P.
2601 Avenue of the Stars
Frisco, Texas 75034
If authorized by applicable law, you may exercise your privacy rights by calling us toll-free at (888) 901-9827, emailing us at email@example.com, or filling out this form: https://dallasstars.formstack.com/forms/privacy_request. We will not discriminate or retaliate against you for exercising any of your rights according to applicable law.